United States Army Vector Logo Download
United States Army is the branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for land-based military operations. It is the largest and oldest established branch of the U.S. military and is one of seven uniformed services.
The primary mission of the Army is to “provide necessary forces and capabilities in support of the National Security and Defense Strategies.” Control and operation is administered by the Department of the Army, one of the three service departments of the Department of Defense.
The United States Army serves as the land-based branch of the U.S. Military. Title 10 US Code defines the purpose of the Army as:
- preserving the peace and security, and providing for the defense, of the United States, the Commonwealths and possessions, and any areas occupied by the United States;
- supporting the national policies;
- implementing the national objectives; and
- overcoming any nations responsible for aggressive acts that imperil the peace and security of the United States.
It also states the Army’s responsibility as:
- land combat and service forces and such aviation and water transport as may be organic therein
- being organized, trained, and equipped primarily for prompt and sustained combat incident to operations on land
- the preparation of land forces necessary for the effective prosecution of war except as otherwise assigned
- the expansion of the peacetime components of the Army to meet the needs of war